Monday, September 18, 2006

Update: Douglas Bailie compassionate Holylands Slumlord

I told him to put it off 'till the summer. I told him gutting that house now would destroy my health. His answer was to send in the wrecking crew. Demolition drills and sledgehammers work wonders for the nerves. Having said that, despite the effect they're having on me, they're good people who are only trying to earn a wage.
They started last wednesday, right on the deadline before the authorities sealed the building. I think he was trying to give me false hope. So, before my porridge was even out of the microwave, I was on the phone to planning. The chimney was due to come down and that meant that the long awaited loft conversion was on its way. No, he had no planning permission. Yes it was illegal to take the chimney down. Yes his home phone number and the name of his architect were most useful.
By midday the story had changed. The chimney would stay. There would be no loft conversion. There would be three rooms, not the predicted six crammed into a two up two down house.
Later I heard the builder was amenable to lining the walls with foam-backed board to keep out noise, and might even put glass fibre under the floorboards. I hope he leaves no gaps.
Meanwhile they're ripping out the chimney breasts and putting in a beam to prop up the chimney. I'm very tired. I need more sleep.

No comments: